Zakoutzki is the russian equivalent to the spanish tapas, and are close to the Scandinave smorgasbord and to a certain extend to the greek and lebanese mezze. It always consists of :
- caviar and smoked fish eggs dressed on buttered brown bread,
- crispy slices of rye bread stuffed with sauerkraut,
- pirojki of various filling,
- smoked and marinated fish : eel, sturgeon, salmon,
- meat bowls,
- herring paté,
- stuffed eggs,
- salads made of fish or chicken with potatoes or beetroot and mixed herbs,
- large pickled gherkins,
- marinated plums, mushrooms and beetroots,
- some rye bread sented with cumin (caraway), onion or poppy seeds.
All that served with a good bottle of russian vodka.
Suitable for coeliacs (excepted the breads and piriojki), Vegetarian (all the vegetable dishes), nut free.